Production Designer / Artworker
Application closing date: Friday 8th June (midnight)
Salary: £22-27k PAYE dependent on experience / skills
Start date: July 2018 (flexible)
First round of interviews: TBC
Second round of interviews: TBC
Location: Working in a studio alongside the canal by Broadway Market E8
We are a young independent publisher based in East London who make collectable photography books. In the past four years we have received critical acclaim from the likes of Martin Parr, Time Magazine, The Guardian, BJP and many more and in 2017 we were awarded the IPG Newcomer Award and our series ‘Tales from the City’ was awarded the 2017 Brand / Series Identity Award by the British Book Design & Production Awards. Our goal is to bring beautiful photography books to a much wider audience with a fairly tight brand aesthetic.
We are looking for a talented, super-enthusiastic book-mad designer to join the five-person growing team at Hoxton Mini Press in our brand spanking new offices. The role is specifically for production design in print:
- Liaising with the creative director, photographers and freelance designers to bring books to print
- Applying and evolving brand visuals across various platforms (website, books, newsletters and so forth)
- Refining cover designs
- Managing all visual assets
- Preparing artwork for print
This is a highly technical role and should be for those looking to follow a design or production career within print publishing. You should be passionate about paper, production and colour and be highly experienced with InDesign and Photoshop. At the same time, you should have a keen eye for font, layout and sequence.
This is also an organisational role which will see you work closely with our in-house production controller, creative director, photographers and repro houses to make decisions about layout and materials and sequence.
We should be very clear, this is not a role for designing complete books and covers from scratch, that is done by a host of freelance designers, although you will be involved in the creative process at all stages and the role may well develop. There will also be opportunities to design a few in-house covers alongside the creative director.
- A good sense of design – a personal portfolio of work is essential
- Expert knowledge of InDesign
- Expert knowledge of Photoshop
- An understanding of colour management
- A number of years experience within and/or a very good knowledge of print production
WHAT SORT OF PERSON DO WE WANT?
- Happy to work in a small team and willing to muck in
- Focused on detail and quality
- Willing to learn fast and adapt to a changing environment
- Have a clear passion for books and other print media
- Be interested and knowledgeable about photography and the wider arts
£22-27K dependent on experience / skills
The job will start beginning of July – but there is flexibility.
There is an option for a 3-days-a-week part time position if that is preferable. To be discussed. Please flag on the application form if this is of preference.
There will be two rounds of interviews with a test of skills in the second. Dates to be announced.